Saturday, July 7, 2007

For the last few weeks - ive thought long and hard and have finally decided.. this will be my last season of playing cricket.. it will be a challenge, but like they say, tough calls need to be made.. there will be so many places to go on the weekends - now that spunky is here, hopefully ill have a captive participant to my weekend breaks ;)

Also, ive realised that somewhere sometime it boils down to simple numbers.. tennis, squash, badminton and even swimming keep me much fitter (which i desperately need) vs. cricket.. also on a fun/hour spent criteria, they dont do all that bad either.. of course i know i will miss playing with a team, and ill miss being a part of it.. but i guess thats where the tough part comes in :)

The other fairly sorry disconnect is at a personal level - the amount of stuff i do on the field today (all owing to my poor performance of course) is not in line with the time investment im making in it.. so in bakir parlance, i may be investing in a small business, with no real right to win in the future either.. and im investing above case rate..

But want to retire at a high! so lets get them this season guys!

2 comments:

gajman said...

with all due respect, this is a stupid call. you're one of the last few shining beacon's of a dying work-life balance team culture. don't leave us. don't leave me!

Bakir said...

Great to see you writing again on our matches....would love to see more of your ill-depth....ohh sorry in-depth analysis on the team's strategy ;-)

Jokes apart, your innings on Sunday was one of best I have seen you play and in-fact I would rate it second only to Matt's 50 (ofcourse Paddu's 124 is BIC benchmark). Why I rate it so high??...two reasons 1)Your positive attitude & playing in the "V"- always looking to score & treating the previous delivery as history and focusing on the next one coming 2) Most of your shots if not all were played on merit...very important. I really enjoyed playing side-by-side and watching some great shots from the BOX seat. The first six of the spinner & the spectacular cover drive are etched in my mind. I am sure which such an innings you would hate to not play the next few matches but lets see how much cricket can pull you!!

Pls cut the crap on this retirement stuff. If you trust my judgement, I can tell you the later half of this season and the next year will be your best season ever. Do what ABM's do best, put the task at hand on a post-it or better on your laptop background. If you need help to set goals...let me know...I can help ;-)Stick-on mate!